Monday, September 10, 2012

Everything Needed


The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need. Psalm 23:1 (NLT)

Today was a first.  

First day of Pre-school, first day in separate classrooms, first five hour stretch of free time in which I missed my kids like crazy every single minute they were not here.

This day has been anticipated for months now.  Back in the spring, I picked out adorable owl and monkey lunch boxes to match the backpacks they received as Christmas presents from their auntie and uncle.  All summer long, at the pool and on various other outings, Jake and Lilly practiced eating their lunch with their new gear.  There were zippers and pouches and handles to discover.

For their birthdays in July, Grammy and Pop gave each of them their very own nap mat, which was an immediate hit for both.  All summer long, they’d unroll their mats, fluff up their pillows, and curl up under their blankets to watch their favorite show.  (Somehow Lilly was OK with this type of resting as long as it didn’t involve sleep!)

When today finally arrived, we were ready.  We had all of the required supplies and our Pre-school equipment was broken in.  With lots of confidence, we stepped out of the house in brand new tennis shoes, ready to embark upon this new journey.


We stopped at Lilly’s room first, and having met her teacher last Friday, she ran right into her classroom without a second glance.  When Jake realized what was going on, he went back and forth about whether or not he was really ready for this big adventure.  I quickly handed him off to his sweet teacher and kissed his tear streaked face, trying really hard to hold it together myself.  

By the time I left the building, a quick peek into their classroom windows proved that they had adjusted quite well to their new surroundings, and with a deep breath, I told myself it would all be OK.

I’ve thought and thought about all that went into getting prepared for this day.  The lunch boxes, the nap mats, the supplies, new shoes, the pep talks- all of it- and I’ve realized that I was probably more anxious about today than either of my kids.  It was my job to make sure they had everything they needed.  It was up to me to make sure they were ready when today came.  It was my responsibility to teach them how to use the equipment I’d provided. 

Our heavenly Father, who cares about every detail of our lives, has great adventures planned for us.  Some of us, like Lilly, can’t wait to jump in with reckless abandon to see what’s He’s got for us, while others, like my cautious Jake, are a little more hesitant and unsure.  I fall into that second category a bunch.  Sometimes, I doubt that God really can provide everything that I need.   

Part of the problem comes when I start looking at other pastures where the grass seems to be greener. But Psalm 23:2 says, He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams. (NLT)  If I am following Him, then wherever He takes me is exactly where I am supposed to be. One thing that holds true for each and every one of us is the absolute delight God takes in providing all that we need for whatever circumstances we encounter.  We never face a season of life without everything we need. 

Sometimes, it is a new and exciting adventure that awaits us.  Other times, it may be a season of silence.  Often, God asks us to wait until He has fully developed our character and has taught us how to use the gifts He's given to us.  Sometimes, we find ourselves on a path that seems impossible to navigate.  But, never is there a time when He will not come through for us.  He gives us what we need to walk confidently, as we draw the strength for each step from Him.  

What gives me the most peace is the fact that it is not up to me to make sure I have everything I need.  That is God's job.  As long as I am keeping a check on my heart and I'm sure that where I am headed is actually where He is leading me, then I can find security in knowing that the rest is up to Him.  I used to think that giving up control would restrict me, but the opposite is true.  There is such freedom when I allow Him to take the reins, because all of sudden, having what I need becomes His responsibility, not mine.

Just as I took joy in giving my children all they would need to do well on their new journey, God does not overlook a single thing.  When I look back at certain times in my life, particularly the difficult seasons, I am amazed at just how much He did provide.  Everything from precious friendships to verses of scriptures whispered to my broken heart to the strength necessary to just keep going:  all were marked by His fingerprints. 

I had to leave my children this morning and wait until this afternoon to learn how they adjusted, how they interacted with their new classmates, and the final outcome of this “first day.”  I told Cody that I would have loved to be a fly on the wall today, watching their every move, and he replied, “You and every other mother.”

I didn’t get to go along with my children on their new adventure.  The fact that I am their Momma couldn't change that.  But our heavenly Father promises to never leave His children.  He walks beside me along every road I travel.  Because His Son lives inside of me, wherever I go, He’s going too.  He celebrates when I conquer fears, He rejoices over me when I make the tiniest bit of progress, He delights in watching me grow.  And on the days when I fail or I fall behind or I think I can’t possibly take it any longer, He lavishes me with His grace.  And that alone gives me faith to keep walking in the way He leads, looking to Him for everything I need.


And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment