Friday, March 28, 2014

Two Words Could Change A Life


Words kill, words give life; they’re either poison or fruit—you choose.  Proverbs 18:21 (The Message)


Words are powerful. They hold weight.  They can build up or crush to pieces. They can be careless or well-thought-out. Words come in sophisticated styles and comfortable ones.  They can be tender and they can be bone-chilling cold.  Words can empower and words can destroy.  They can unite or divide. Words make up the language we speak.  Words have the potential to connect us… across borders, across barriers, across oceans.

So many moments in life can be traced back to words.  The beginning of a thrilling yet challenging new chapter of life called marriage began for me with two: I do. And we’ve had many more to follow.  My favorites include: Love you.  Told you. Miss you. You’re right. (Unless of course I’m the one speaking.)

Healing in my heart after being shattered also started with two words: I’m here.

Hope is rekindled with these: I’m praying.

A season of waiting is often initiated by two very frustrating and confusing words: Not yet.

And then there are these that can snatch your breath and steal your joy: Too much. Not enough.

I think of all the words that have squeezed hot, salty tears out of joyful eyes; how words like I’m sorry become a bridge that can be crossed over.

When gratitude is difficult to express, these deliver that message gracefully: Thank you.

I remember the words that spilled out of me as a teenager when life spun out of control: I’m scared.

Or when I became a mom of two babies and found myself struggling to say: Please help.

There were words spoken to me that caused me to pack up my pen and pad and quit writing… for over a decade.  But it was also words- different ones- that encouraged me to return to it all these years later. Words stir something deep within us and cause us to act. Words can leave us paralyzed where we are or convince us to step out even if we’re scared. Jesus’ words caused quite a stir in His day, too.  He knew the power two words could have. His words were anything but empty; they were full of truth.

You’re forgiven, set a sinful woman free.

Follow me, turned fishermen into fishers of men.

Get up, caused a lame man to hold his mat as his testimony.

Come out, raised a dead man to life and invited him to walk out of a tomb.

Be still!  calmed the wind and the waves.

Have faith. Fear not. Take heart. These words bring peace to the doubters, like me.

Today I wrote a letter to Sheldon.  His picture hangs on the wall in the room where I write. He just turned twelve this week.  He lives in Kenya and he attends school at his local church and learns about Jesus through the Compassion International Child Sponsorship Program. Last year he wrote to tell me that he purchased a mattress and a sheep with the birthday money we sent. The year before, a cow. I’m wondering what it will be this year.


Sheldon loves soccer and volleyball.  His favorite food is “chapati,” which he calls pancakes.  (Pancakes are a big hit in our house, too.) Sheldon now owns a bible. He writes and tells me, “I know Jesus.” I share words with Sheldon that I need to hear, just like him.  Words straight from the heart of Jesus. You’re loved.  You’re precious.  You’re accepted.  You’re seen.


Sheldon always includes a scripture verse in each of his letters, so I do, too.  Once he wrote, “I hope we will be friends forever.” I wrote him back and shared Romans 8:29 with him, told him we were in the same family- God’s family- since we both knew Jesus.  I included a picture of Jake and Lilly, said they were like a brother and sister, too.  Explained that God’s family… it grows.  I showed him where his name is written right there in my bible.


And many months later, scrawled at the bottom of the page, I read two words:

Your son,
Sheldon

And those two words make my heart smile big, securing this: We’re family.

Your words can make a difference in the life of a child, too. 

All it takes is two: I’m in.

Sponsor a child and allow the words of that child to dramatically change your life.



2 comments:

  1. Wow, Kelly! I really enjoyed reading this. I am so glad there are 'people like you' in this world. It makes it all seem better somehow. My two words: thought provoking

    ReplyDelete