Friday, April 17, 2015

How To Be Content in Your Season


They grumbled about not getting dessert. No appreciation for the meal they’d just been given. Something inside me imploded as I witnessed crossed arms and pouting lips.

“Why are they being so ungrateful?” I demanded.

My husband shrugged as he handed the waiter his credit card. I couldn’t believe their response to our family dinner outing. It wasn’t until the next day that my own discontentment became apparent. My reaction the night before had been evidence of an inner battle raging.

Aware that my frustration was related somehow to my current stage of life with a newborn, I started to pour out my heart to God. It didn’t take long for me to sense His voice, gentle and straight to the point.

Know your season, He whispered.

Afraid of missing out, I realized that I was.  I was missing out on the blessings right in front of me… in this season.

My son has always had original ideas about his wardrobe, and for some reason, not only does he love to choose accessories that do not coordinate, he is also bent on dressing out of season. One day I surrendered and let him go out to play wearing shorts, a winter vest, sunglasses and cowboy boots.  I snapped a picture because he looked incredibly adorable but completely ridiculous.


I have no idea whether it was fall or summer or spring, but clearly he was suffering from seasonal confusion. I’ve been trying to embrace more than one season, and I’m doing a horrible job. I’m sure I look ridiculous, too.

Even the stork in the sky knows her appointed seasons, and the dove, the swift and the thrush observe the time of their migration. But my people do not know the requirements of the Lord.  Jeremiah 8:7 (NIV)

Jeremiah was so fed up with the people of Judah for not recognizing their need to turn back to God.  They were stuck in a season of rebellion.  Even the birds know their season, so why is this so difficult for us?


Jesus talked about the birds, too. He said, “Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?” (Matthew 6:26) 

Jesus was saying, "It's not about which season you're in; it's about how much I value you, how much I love you. And because I love you I will provide for you in this season."

Maybe way down underneath all the discontent I don’t really doubt His provision, but I doubt His love.

Knowing my season is recognizing its beauty.
Knowing my season is embracing its inconveniences.
Knowing my season is releasing what doesn’t fit.
Knowing my season is being present within its challenges.
Knowing my season is having a heart of gratitude.
Knowing my season is trusting that Jesus’ love remains constant even as my seasons change.




No comments:

Post a Comment