Friday, October 16, 2015

The Beautiful Ordinary

He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end. Ecclesiastes 3:11

She leans over her windowsill and carefully counts twelve new blooms as I braid her long, blond hair. Deep purple petals spread out from the tiniest yellow centers. Every morning, she sings over them. The song varies day to day, but it’s usually one she’s made up on her own. I tell her that her voice will help her plant grow. I’m not even sure if that’s true, but my mom told me something similar, and it’s stuck with me ever since. It seems like something worth passing on. When I was her age I had an African violet, too. I lived in Africa, so I mistakenly assumed they were indigenous. I had no idea this common plant was so ordinary.  All I could see was beauty in this thing I nurtured. I was a quiet girl, so I often wonder if my mom’s suggestion to speak to my plant was a disguised effort to coax my voice out of hiding. My mom taught me much more than how to care for a plant; she taught me to embrace the beautiful ordinary by watching God move in the small moments of life.

Tucked away inside the smallest, most ordinary occurrence is a beautiful God making Himself known.


I'm honored to be guest over at BeYOUtiful Mom today. I'd love for you to join me and read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment