Monday, December 21, 2015

Christmas Hope

Christmas is almost here. Twinkling lights on houses, festivities with family and friends, and Christmas carols on every radio station remind us daily that Christmas is coming. It seems impossible that anyone could miss Christmas. Not here. For my friend who lives in Turkey, Christmas is just another day.  With words of truth, she reminds us all that hope is not found in a feeling, in a tradition, or in a box underneath the tree. Hope can only be found in a person. His name is Jesus. I invite you to be blessed as she shares her beautiful heart.


*****

By Julie

I carefully selected the words I would need and practiced saying them in my head as I sat, anxiously waiting for my turn.  My language class was discussing holidays around the world.  We were each assigned to pick one from our country to talk about.  I chose Christmas, thinking it would be an easy holiday to discuss, but quickly realized I didn’t know the word for Christmas in this language.  I asked the teacher and he told me the words for “New Year”.  I was confused.  Surely he knew of Christmas! 

I tried again and explained that I didn’t want the word for New Year, but for Christmas.  He gave me a look that implied he thought I was insane and responded that those two holidays were the same.  In this language, they are called “New Year”.  My mouth hung open, I was at a loss for words.  I knew that people in this country didn’t celebrate Christmas, but I never expected they wouldn’t know what it was, and certainly didn’t think they would confuse Christmas with a New Year’s celebration.  

How could they get it so wrong?

Who could possibly confuse Christmas- the gift-giving, Jesus-birthing, hope-becoming-man, life-giving Christmas- with ringing in the New Year?  I was dumbfounded.

This was beyond a simple “lost in translation” problem.  A holiday of hope, life, celebrating our Savior, God becoming man, and our Redeemer being born of a virgin, was being confused with popping open champagne and yelling, “Happy New Year!” Where could they get such an idea?

As December rolled around and the days to Christmas drew closer I noticed more and more holiday decorations popping up.  Most of them appeared on the streets famous for their shopping, and in the giant malls where many brands from the West are sold.  I was curious.  Maybe my teacher had been confused.  We asked a few strangers on the street about the decorations and each person told us that, of course, they are for the New Year, while giving us the odd look we’ve grown accustomed to seeing when we ask questions that only a foreigner would.




One rainy Friday afternoon, a friend of mine took pity on my ignorance and tried to explain.  She told me that some people have adopted this “Western” holiday.  These “modern” people buy each other gifts, eat a big meal with their family, and if they are “very modern” might even put up a decorated tree.  All of this is to celebrate the New Year.  She was proud of her opportunity to explain this very “Western” holiday to an American.  She volunteered her opinion on how the stores like the opportunity to sell a few more items and draw in the foreigners to make money.

Immanuel, God with us, was being used as a way for stores to capitalize on foreigners and those here who consider themselves “modern”.  Inconceivable.  Who could imagine capitalizing off the birth of our King?

I took my own little journey into one of these giant malls.  I felt like I was stepping back into my homeland.  Twinkling lights were everywhere.  I stood mesmerized taking it all in: red bows, gold stars, smiling snowmen, decorated trees, giant shining wrapped boxes, even a Santa Claus, and wait…is that… Holiday music?  But still not a single mention of Christmas.  All the signs in every store window wished a Happy New Year.  Then my friend, who stood spell-bound beside me, said that whenever we need a taste of Christmas, all we have to do is come here.  Interesting.  So this was Christmas?



In all of the lights, stars, snowflakes, trees, Santas, and snowmen nothing represented the hope of Christmas.  The hope of Jesus.  How could they have gotten such an idea?  

How could they have missed the most important part?

Christmas here is just another day.  December 25th will come and go. People will wake up and go about their daily routine, business as usual.  At the end of the day they will climb into bed having missed it. All the lights, cookies, garlands and bows are nice.  But have we all missed it? 

How will you celebrate and share the real hope of Christmas this season?




The true light, which enlightens everyone, 
was coming into the world.  
John 1:9


“Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, 
and they shall call his name Immanuel” (which means, God with us).  
Matthew 1:23





No comments:

Post a Comment