Monday, May 16, 2016

When Moving Forward Means Leaving Something You Love

Two tiny words can change everything. When Jesus speaks the words, “Follow Me,” nothing stays the same.

This is my final post here at The Sobieski Crew. Jesus is asking me to follow Him to a new place that He’s prepared, and that means leaving this space I’ve loved for the past six years. Really, it’s just another stage of the journey. 

God told Moses to record every stage of Israel's journey so that future generations could learn about a God who keeps His promises.

At the Lord’s command Moses recorded the stages in their journey. Numbers 33:2

Moses painstakingly catalogs Israel’s every move. They leave one place and camp at the next. Moses records it. They leave again and travel to a new place. Moses writes it down. By the time I read the next forty plus verses, it strikes me that perhaps the destination isn’t what matters most.

Just over a year ago I wrote about this exact passage.  The camping is what glaringly stood out to me back then when I was in a season of God asking me to stay put. I grumbled, because all around me others were setting out towards new places, and I felt stuck. Now it’s finally time to leave. I thought it would be exhilarating. I thought I wouldn’t be afraid.

I’m heading to another camp, and eventually God will move me on from there. It’s never about where we stay or where we’re headed; it’s more about the One who walks with us and uses every step as a way to transform our hearts and minds.

Sometimes leaving comes as a relief; if the camp was anything like Rephidim, where there was no water for the people to drink (see Numbers 33:14), it can be easy to pack up and move along. But most of the time leaving is hard, because we leave behind what we love.


Every stage of the journey requires leaving something behind; sometimes it’s a piece of your heart.

The Sobieski Crew has become home to me. It took some time to settle in, but I’ve loved every single time you’ve joined me here. I’ve loved your willingness to wrestle the tough stuff, share the messy stuff, and linger long enough to discover the beautiful stuff that matters most.

I hope you’ll join me over at my new space, which is coming really, really soon! I’ll still be talking about the tough stuff, the messy stuff, and the beautiful stuff - just from a different “camp.” This new space will allow me to better connect with you which is why taking this step is already worth it.  

This move is really just about following Jesus.

Israel left each camp and set out for new territory because God led them. They trusted Him, so they followed. God commanded Moses to record Israel’s journey, and He wants us to reflect on our own journey, too.

Is God asking you to leave something behind and follow Him?

In some ways leaving brings amazing clarity. It reveals whether we love Him more than what He’s asking us to leave behind. He never promised it would be easy; He only promised that the overcoming part would be His. Our job is to trust Him. Our job is to follow.

For those of you hunkering down in your camp right now, remember that God is with you, and God is for you. Rest in Him. Do your thing right where you are. 

For those of you taking brand new fearful steps into unknown territory, remember that not a single step is uncharted. If you are following Jesus, He has already walked every step of the way and is waiting for you in the next stage of the journey. It will be hard. It will be scary. You will wonder if you can leave without looking back. You can. You will. It will be worth it.

Follow Him wherever He leads you, because Jesus loves you.

Kelly


Visit me over at my new site:
www.carriedbylove.com


No comments:

Post a Comment