Thursday, November 8, 2012

In The Struggle

As Jake and Lilly quickly approach two and a half, a precious new phrase is uttered daily and now bounces off the walls of our home. 
“No!  Me do!”
Getting dressed, getting undressed, brushing teeth, washing hands, climbing into the car, climbing out of the car, buckling seat belts, unbuckling seat belts, putting shoes on, taking shoes off… I could go on and on and on.  Jake’s newest discovery is the mobility of the step stool.  This has opened up so many doors for his little adventurous spirit… as well as many drawers that should remain shut.

Some of these tasks are easy for them to do.  They are 100% capable and complete them independently.  Others require my help and they can’t stand the thought of that!  For example, while getting undressed is easy, getting dressed is a different feat altogether.  In order to avoid a complete and total battle-of-the-wills at 7:00 am, I have learned (painfully, I’ll admit) to allow “the struggle.”
Let me define “the struggle:”
Those simple little morning routines that six months ago took us about fifteen minutes to complete can now require as much time as an hour…. or more, depending on the general mood of the morning.  So, instead of trying to rein in my little people who think they can do everything all by themselves, I let them exert as much effort and determination as they can possibly muster up, and allow them to give it everything they’ve got.  My struggle to get two toddlers out the door in the morning has been replaced with their struggle to figure it out, and in the process, has provided pure entertainment for a Momma at her wit’s end.
This week, as “No! Me do! No! Meeeeee do! Nooooooooo! Meeeeee dooooo!” poured out of the mouth of my wee one, I took a step back and watched, smiling at the sight of two legs going through the same pant leg…. backwards.  After a time of struggling on her own, a tiny body with a horrible wardrobe malfunction hobbled over and said, “Pease hep!”

And “please help” is my cue.  Only after those words are uttered do I step in and assist.  Sometimes, my kids realize right away that they need my help and other times it is a painstakingly slow and grueling process.  But I wait.
During that particular struggle this week, I realized that God does the same for me.  He allows “the struggle,” and probably gets a kick out of my efforts, which always end up completely jumbled without Him.  But He waits patiently for me to realize that I need Him.  That I can’t do anything without Him, but through Him, I can do all things because He gives me strength.  (See Philippians 4:13) 
In Matthew 9:28-29, Jesus asks two blind men, desperate for healing, “Do you believe that I am able to do this?”  As they answer, “Yes,” Jesus restores their sight and says to them, “According to your faith let it be done to you.”  
Merriam Webster defines faith as “the firm belief in something for which there is no proof;  complete trust.”  During the last six weeks, I’ve had to repeatedly rely on my so-called “faith.”  And lately, after making my requests known to God, I’ve often pictured Jesus asking me this same question:  “Do you believe that I am able to do this?”
If I’m honest, sometimes I really don’t.  Sometimes, I buy into the lie that God must need my help.  That my efforts could speed things up, move things along.  He must sit back and chuckle when I tell Him how I think He should run this show.  It is such a ridiculous thought when I picture the same scenario going on between me and my two toddlers. How could my efforts do anything but get in His way and muddle things up?
But it’s right there in the middle of my “struggle” that I remember His power and strength, and I realize that He is able. There are numerous more healings in the book of Matthew and each time Jesus makes someone well, He says something similar. 
To the Roman officer who has faith in a single authoritative word from Jesus, he replies, “Because you believed, it has happened.” (Matthew 8:13 NLT) 
To the sick woman who reaches out in faith to touch Jesus’ cloak, believing that it is enough to heal her, Jesus says, “Take heart, daughter.  Your faith has healed you.” (Matthew 9:22 NIV)
To the leper who says, “Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean,” Jesus answers, “I am willing.  Be clean!”  (Matthew 8:2-3 NIV, emphasis mine)
As I continued reading about the people Jesus healed and those He raised from the dead and all the other miraculous things He did, this verse stopped me dead in my tracks:  “And he did not do many miracles there because of their lack of faith.”  (Matthew 13:58 NIV)  I so badly do not want to be that place!  Though I’m glad God allows me to struggle it out on my own, I don’t want to choose that path, if I can help it. Life is much less hectic, when I allow my faith, not my fear, to direct my day.  If Jesus asks me, “Do you believe that I am able to do this?”  I want my answer to be a resounding, “Yes!” 
So, how do I get there?  
Remembering how He has worked in my life in the past helps me to recognize his power and authority in my present.  
Focusing on who He is reminds me of what He is able to do. 

Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, “Move from here to there,” and it will move.  Nothing will be impossible for you.”  Matthew 17:20-21

No comments:

Post a Comment