Saturday, April 14, 2012

Ducks and Sheep

The ducks are back, and Jake and Lilly are thrilled that Henrietta has chosen our front yard as the place she will lay her eggs for the second year in a row. When we built our house four years ago, the neighbors talked about these Mallard ducks who came to lay their eggs in the ditch in front of our vacant lot every Spring. It makes sense, because just up the road is a large pond of water, a perfect spot for Momma Duck to lead her ducklings. We gave Henrietta her name years ago, long before Jake and Lilly were born, and every Spring she comes home. I just recently learned that a female Mallard is called a “hen,” which is perfect for our “Henrietta.”

Meet Henrietta

Lately, Henrietta has been waiting on our front doorstep, since Jake and Lilly like to go out and feed her each morning before breakfast. We don’t mind that she and her male companions hang around since they do such a good job of gobbling up all of the June bugs that congregate on our front porch. What we do mind is the sticky duck poop they leave on the sidewalk! Just this morning, I hollered at Henrietta through the window, “Please, please, please, whatever you do, don’t poop on my doormat!”

Make Way For Ducklings is a popular book at our house since ducks are clearly Jake and Lilly’s favorite of all animals. The mother in me, is glad I’m not a duck. In all seriousness, I am. Without any help from the Daddy duck, she cares for these 8-12 ducklings all by herself, and she alone is responsible for leading them to water for their first swimming lesson within days of hatching. I’ve often wondered, while reading my kids this sweet story about Mr. and Mrs. Mallard, how terrified Mrs. Mallard must have been as she attempted to lead her ducklings across the busy highway. I would be panicked that one of my ducklings would get out of line. I would be fearful that someone would snatch the duckling at the end without me knowing. It would take so much courage to be the one in front, trusting that all of them will just follow.

Last week, I read this verse that has nothing at all to do with ducks, but everything to do with being a Momma.

He will feed his flock like a shepherd.
He will carry the lambs in his arms, holding them close to his heart.
He will gently lead the mother sheep with their young. Isaiah 40:11 (NLT)

Sheep are mentioned over 500 times in the Bible, while ducks are not nearly as popular. Sheep were a part of the agricultural life when the Bible was penned, and they have been known to symbolize God’s people. Also, we cannot overlook that Jesus is the sacrificial Lamb of God, who willingly gave his life as a sacrifice for our sins. It makes sense that God would compare himself to a shepherd caring for his flock. Shepherding was a way of life for so many during that time. King David was perhaps the best known shepherd in the Bible. And shepherds were the first to see the newborn Baby Jesus.

I love the fact that lambs are born helpless. Unlike ducks, that are able to swim very soon after birth, lambs depend on their mothers, who in turn rely on their shepherd to make sure they get what they need, including food, water, and rest, especially while caring for their young. Maybe more than anything else, the word “gentle” appeals so much to me. “He gently leads the mother sheep.” This word communicates kindness, peace, and humility. I like the way this version reads:

He holds [the lambs] close, while their mothers walk beside him. (ERV)

If I had to choose, I would want to be a sheep instead of a duck. A Momma duck, like Mrs. Mallard and our very own Henrietta, is the only one leading her children. A Momma sheep, though, can rely on her shepherd to “gently” lead her when she needs to go. She knows his voice, and trusts him fully. He carries the lambs, for they are His, and she walks beside him. It is such a beautiful picture of what mothering is all about. I pray that I will have to courage to trust Him and follow His lead as He holds my children close to his heart. I am so glad He walks besides me along this journey called “Motherhood.”

My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. John 10:27 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment