Saturday, May 12, 2012

Balloons in the Bathtub


I would say it had been one of “those days,” but lately, “those days” are starting to become most days.  It was the kind of day that was filled to the brim with tears and tantrums and prayers to Jesus asking us to make better choices.  Let me paint a picture for you.  

It was a day overflowing with lots and lots of tears like these:
 With plenty of grumpiness like this:
And a whole lot of screaming into the wind just like this:

By 8:30 a.m., in between five thousand time-outs and just as many tantrums, Jake discovered how to unlock and open the front door.  Then, as if that inspired him to master more skills, he taught himself how to take his shirt off.  Then he taught Lilly how to take her shirt off.  So, while both of them were sitting side by side in time-out for yet another fist fight that morning, I overheard an echo of “uh-ohs,” which any mom knows is never a good thing.  Never, ever, ever.  

When I walked over to the two of them, who were both holding their shirts in their hands, it was my turn to pray to Jesus and ask Him to help me make a good choice. With lots of deep breaths and intervention from above, I was able to have a calm discussion with Jake and Lilly about how proud I was that they had mastered this very important skill of undressing, but that since we were already late due to the five thousand time-outs, we had to stay dressed for the rest of the day.  Obviously, I didn’t make myself clear, because it happened again.  And again.  And one more time.

 At one point, I considered letting both kids leave the house without their shirts, but because I care way too much about what people think of me and can't stand for anyone to think think that I just might not have it all together, I chased my children around the house and managed to get them dressed again.  The conversation we had was not as calm as the first one, but I am quite confident that I made myself clear the second time.  In the midst of all the chasing, dressing, and discussing, there were more tears.  There was more grumpiness.  There was more shouting into the wind.  There were more prayers from a desperate Momma.  

Trying my hardest to hang onto the thin thread of patience that was left after my morning, I walked out of my closet just in time to witness toys being heaved into the bathtub.  I recognized the looks my children exchanged that said, “Momma’s having a bad day…. Let’s see how quickly we can push her over the edge!”  Cranky tears quickly turned to playful giggles as they took turns launching various items into the bathtub.  

This is normally not allowed.  This usually ends in time-outs for everyone.  But for some reason, instead of screaming at the top of my lungs like I really, really, really wanted to do, I prayed and asked Jesus to help me make a good choice, just like I had led my children to do at least a dozen times already that morning.  And in the middle of my prayer, I sat down in the middle of the bathroom floor and started laughing.  And I couldn’t stop.  This made their giggles come faster and louder.  At one point, Lilly looked at Jake as if to say, “This is SO not the reaction I thought we’d get!”  

It felt good laughing as I watched my two little messes hurl random objects into the tub.  I may or may not have joined in.  Some might call this bad parenting,  but sometimes there are just “those days.”  Sometimes there are tears. Sometimes there is grumpiness.  Sometimes there is shouting into the wind.  Sometimes there are prayers every hour on the hour.  Sometimes it just feels good to throw our junk in the tub and laugh about it.  

That night, after putting Jake and Lilly to bed, I took a long, deep breath and decided I needed a long, relaxing bath.  All I wanted was some peace and quiet after a very loud and chaotic day.  What I found, as I reached over to turn on the water, made me giggle.


I had hosted a baby shower for a sweet friend of mine the week before, and the remnants of the pink and blue decorations still lingered in corners of the house.  (Confession: There is still one blue balloon wrapped around our living room fan after Jake experimented with helium and a high ceiling.)  In spite of all the frustration that had filled my day, I couldn’t help but smile at the site of balloons in my bathtub.  Two little some-bodies must have snuck in the bathroom before bedtime and left Momma a little surprise.  I took this picture because older, wiser, more experienced moms tell me I will miss these days. These days of tears and tantrums and prayers to Jesus begging for patience.  

Proverbs 31:10-31 paints a portrait of a virtuous woman.  She is strong, dignified, loving, and caring.  She is a wife, and she is a mother.  She serves God with a cheerful heart. She keeps the perfect balance and manages her household graciously.  Verse 25 says, “She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.”  I came across this verse and wondered if this woman, the perfect model of a Momma who has it all together, ever had a day like mine.  I wonder how many times she prayed to God asking Him to renew her strength.  I wonder how often she begged Him to give her patience.  I wonder if she ever laughed about balloons in the bathtub, because she knew that eventually her kids would grow up.  And that one day, she’d miss “those days.”

In an attempt to balance out the grouchiness, I am sharing the "smiling versions" of my little ones as well.  Seeing their cheerful faces helps me to take every day in stride... the good days, the bad days, the ugly days, and the days of balloons in the bathtub.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment