Tuesday, May 1, 2012

PART 3: A New Command

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.  John 13:34


A few years ago, I had a conversation with my sweet friend, Charla, who loves Jesus dearly.  We were talking about the best way to help the homeless in our community.  We shared how skeptical we both were about just giving money to anyone on the street corner.  She came up with this idea to keep non-perishable food items and other necessities in bags in her car.  Then when she saw a need, she’d be prepared.  Back then it was just a good idea, something I intended to do. 

In February, the month of LOVE, I followed through on that good intention, and put together bags to keep in the backseat of my car. 

Here are some items I included in each bag:
cereal or fruit bars
peanut butter crackers
fruit cups
dried fruit
tuna
beef jerky
nuts
water
plastic utensils
Kleenex or wipes
feminine products
deodorant
bug spray
socks 


I printed scripture verses on labels and stuck them to the inside of each bag.  I like having a bunch of different ones, and always pray that the person receiving the bag gets just the right verse God wants them to hear. All of these reveal God’s promises.  

The Lord your God LOVES you. Deuteronomy 23:5
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”  Jeremiah 29:11  
God’s voice thunders in marvelous ways; He does great things beyond our understanding.  Job 37:5
See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands.  Isaiah 49:16
The Lord your God will be your sure foundation, providing a rich store of salvation, wisdom, and knowledge.  Isaiah 33:6
Wait patiently for the Lord.  Be brave and courageous. Yes, wait patiently for the Lord.  Psalm 27:14
And I pray that you, being rooted and established in LOVE, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the LOVE of Christ for you.  Ephesians 3:18
 
God’s promises aren’t just for some of us.  They are for you.  They are for me.  They are for those without hope. 

I used to pass out judgment.  “He could get a job.”  “She’s probably an addict.”  And you know what? I am learning that God is the Ultimate Judge.  God judges based on truth.  I don’t get to be the judge of everybody else, because I don’t know the whole story.  He knows the whole story because He’s writing the story.  He knows that the man I pass judgment on just lost his job and can’t pay his bills.  He knows that the woman I notice hitchhiking has left everything to escape an abusive relationship, choosing to live on the streets rather than living in bondage another day.  

So, in an incredibly humbling way, God has forever changed my heart.  I no longer pass out judgment.  I pass out LOVE.  Jesus’ LOVE.

By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another. John 13:35




No comments:

Post a Comment