Saturday, February 4, 2012

The "Perfect" Day

Yesterday Cody took the day off, so we spent the morning talking to the animals at the zoo. I really had high hopes for this “day of fun” that we had planned all week. Not even the forecast of scattered showers was going to take away from our family affair. After checking the weather upon waking, we decided that we would take a chance and try to cram it all in before nap-time when most of the rain was due to come our way. We chose wisely. As soon as we got back in the car to head home, the rain began to fall. You would think that we would have been celebrating this victory over the weather conditions but, no. We did not. We were too busy arguing over what could have possibly gotten into Jake to cause him to scream throughout the entire zoo.

"He was hungry."

"He wanted to walk."

"He was tired."

"He was thirsty."

We are still undecided on the true cause of his breakdown. Animals were going into hiding, scared of the shrill sounds leaving his lips. At one point, after he decided he was not happy about riding in the stroller, being carried by Daddy or walking on his own, he plopped himself down on the ground in the middle of what Cody and I did not recognize as a muddy puddle. I am laughing as I write about this little detail now, but let me assure you that neither of us was laughing then.

On our last adventure to the zoo (back in December) Lilly was the vocal one, screaming and throwing an embarrassing temper tantrum when we had to exit the carousel, and again when she had to ride in the stroller back to the parking lot. When I remember how Jake behaved that day, I can almost promise you that he had a shiny halo above his head. He was the perfect little gentleman. Well, as if both kids read my post last month about taking turns, that little gentleman was nowhere to be found yesterday. Lilly was the polite onlooker, smiling and waving at all the animals, totally oblivious to her brother’s antics. (I guess she asked to borrow the halo for the day.) So while we may have had our triumph over the rainclouds, we have come to the conclusion that we have absolutely no control over two little personalities that on any given day may choose between “sweet angel” or “holy terror.”

As I look through these pictures, which were taken prior to Jake’s plummet into unhappiness, it seems as if this was the “perfect day” we had planned all along. I wonder if, years from now, we’ll look at these pictures and remember the disagreement we had upon leaving or the excitement we all felt about getting so close to the giraffes. I wonder if we will think about the silence we chose on the ride home or the giggles we heard at the sight of every animal our kids recognized.

I’m not sure why we as parents have to keep reminding ourselves that we are on the same team. I will never understand why we turn on each other when one or both kids act out and ruin our plan for “the perfect family outing.” I have given up trying to be “the perfect family.” I am unclear if that even exists. I don’t think it does. Perfection is way overrated, if you ask me. I am comfortable saying that we are not “the perfect family,” even though every one of these pictures tells a different story. Without the true version, it might seem as if everybody was happy and joyful the entire time. It might seem as if each of us was just bursting with love for each other and that patience never ran out. As much as these pictures boast of our family fun, I will admit that we did not have “the perfect zoo day.” And that’s OK. We have each other, with all our faults and unpleasant moods, and I’d choose that any day over perfection.


Lilly tried her hardest to get the attention of this long-necked friend.
Jake's happy squeals did the trick. He either frightened or surprised this same giraffe... we're not completely sure. The giraffe nodded his head in Jake's direction before turning and walking away.
Both kids loved seeing this elephant up close and personal. Their favorite song these days is "Elephants Have Wrinkles." As soon as we start to sing it, they start waving their trunks in the air!

Next to the carousel, the Children's Zoo is Jake and Lilly's favorite spot in the entire zoo. With brushes in hand, they set out to make some new friends.

Why did we bring a stroller, again? I'm pretty sure it was empty 90% of the time we were there.
Jake exchanged words with this quiet but wise gorilla.
Don't ask me why, but both of my children are fascinated by birds. They still refer to most of them as ducks, but who cares?!
We were all really happy this Komodo Dragon was behind the glass...

...all of us but Lilly. If given the chance, she would have bent down and given him a kiss, I'm certain of it.

Going to the zoo with these two is like rediscovering these animals for the first time. Watching each of them notice a tiger, then make a "roooooooaaaaaar" sound with all their might never gets old.

No comments:

Post a Comment