Monday, June 11, 2012

Learning To Say No


My friend Charla, (Granny-3 or G3 for short) offered to play with one of my kids while I ran errands with the other today.  I am amazed at how much I can get done with a single toddler.  She made this sweet offer to me about a week ago, only requesting one thing from me:  I would have to choose the kid that got to stay at her house, not her.  She urged me to take advantage of her offer, then said, “But I know you’ll never ask.”  So, not wanting to rob her of the opportunity to do something so sweet for me, ask I did.  And it was wonderful, for all of us.  

Earlier this morning I was thinking about Jake and Lilly’s birthday party coming up in July. (Don’t even get me going about the fact that they are turning two… that’s another post).  I needed to go to Hobby Lobby, but the first signs of a migraine started creeping in when I thought about our last Hobby Lobby experience just last month. The trip that ended with a cart full of stuff being haphazardly thrown back onto the shelf and an embarrassed Momma dragging two screaming toddlers out to the car was one I was still trying to erase form my memory.

Lilly is my Question-Asker.  “What’s that?” “And that?” “And that?”  (Although it sounds more like, “Dat?”)  Taking Lilly to Hobby Lobby is like trying to count to one hundred while a crowd of people are shouting different numbers at the top of their lungs.  There is so much to look at and inquire about, but usually Momma goes there to gather supplies, not to leisurely stroll through the store and look at all the pretty things. 

Whatever I am buying at this favorite store of mine typically involves some kind of measuring that I never take care of beforehand.  If I am buying ribbon for some project, it’s calculating how many feet are in a yard, then how many yards I’ll need, so I don’t have to make a return trip.  If it’s paint, it’s which one of fifteen is the perfect shade of blue.  If I am purchasing party supplies, it’s which combination of items will save me the most money and the most time.  So when the cart stops for Momma to think and then follow-up with a decision, the natives get restless.  Jake hates stopping and Lilly, who doesn’t mind the frequent pauses, fills that time with questions.  So many questions!  And if she is not answered the first time, she increases her volume and decreases the distance between her face and mine.  Over and over, she’ll ask, “Dat? DAT? DAAAAAAAAAAAT?” 

So, in an attempt to prevent havoc from invading my morning outing, I remembered my sweet friend’s offer, and I took her up on it.  Lilly went to G3’s house for an hour or so while Jake and I navigated the aisles of Hobby Lobby in search for the perfect favor bags for their Zoo party coming up this summer.  

Upon returning to pick up Lilly, Jake and I heard all about her adventure with Chops, the dog, Rocket, the cat, and three fish in the pond out back.  My little girl loves animals, even if they don’t always love her back.  I received an email from Charla later that afternoon, complete with pictures of Lilly in action.  I’ll let you read what my dear friend had to say about her adventure with Lilly.

 
Learning to Say No
Written by Charla Lindsey (used with permission)

How is it that sweet, young, innocent children love to use that word "No" once they learn it?  Why is it that we, as adults, have a hard time saying “No,” (like children)?  Sometimes,  it's OK to say “No.”  Especially, if it's an honest answer.  But, often, we try to say "Yes," to too many "other things," and we run from God saying "No" - just like his children that we are.

 I learned a "Lesson from Lilly" today as she came to G3's house to play for a bit.  I learned that my cat tried to say "No," but Lilly was determined to play with the cat.  “Meow, meow,” as Lilly would say, practically crawling under the bed with the cat to seek him out.   When I thought about putting that cat back outside, and Lilly told me, "No,”  she was honest!  And, that was OK. She really wanted to play with the cat.   Does God seek us out to find us when we hide under our "bed”?  Does He constantly seek us even when we try to say "No"?  Yes, He does.  He is faithful, and He allows us to say "No," but never gives up on us! 

Thank you, Lilly, for telling me "No" and for teaching me a lesson about God's unending, unconditional love today. I'm grateful God patiently lets us say "No," but never gives up on us! 



  Lilly was finally successful, and Rocket, the cat, said "Yes!”

  Lilly and her new friend, Chops

No comments:

Post a Comment