Monday, June 25, 2012

Special Things


“Special things” is a phrase we use in our house to describe the stuff we don’t want the kids to touch.  My mom laughs every time she hears me say this phrase to my kids, but let me tell you, it has served its purpose well.  When Jake and Lilly started walking about a year ago, we had to figure out which things had to be moved out of their reach and which things we were going to keep where they were, even though there was a certain risk involved as two toddling adventurers anxiously set out to explore.  My reasoning was this: If it can hurt them, let’s move it, but everything else stays put. 

When Jake developed a fascination for remotes, we gave him one without batteries.  When that did not go over well with Jake, we adopted the phrase “special things.”  The six other remotes in our house were referred to as “Daddy’s special things,” and deemed off-limits.  It was a stretch to have faith that this could work, but, surprisingly, with lots and lots of repetition, it did!  Both kids leave my books next to my bed alone, even though the basket is well within their reach, because they understand that those are “Momma’s special things.”  When we go to my Noni and Poppy's house, Lilly and Jake both know not to touch the two glass candle holders on the coffee table, because those are “Noni’s special things.”  At Grammy and Pop’s house, the bright blue buttons on the TV are at just the right height for two little fingers, but once we established that area as “Pop’s special things,” it was no longer an issue. 

The “special things” phrase has stuck.  As they approach two, Jake and Lilly are now very aware of what their special things are.  For Lilly, it’s pretty much any kind of animal… stuffed animals, plastic animals, pictures of animals, or the real deal.  But, make no mistake: Lilly’s special things are not Jake’s special things, and vice versa.  To make this point crystal clear, let me tell you about our little outing to the Dallas Aquarium last week. 

Poppy and Lilly saw so many different creatures up close and personal as they stopped to admire each and every one.  Lilly was thrilled when an enormous manatee swam by to greet us!  A few days later, Lilly found one in her coloring book!  She was so proud to show me her new special friend.



While they were interacting with the wildlife, Jake and I were scouting out all of the computers stationed in front of each exhibit.  He couldn’t have cared less about the animals, birds, or marine life.  All he wanted to do was push the buttons on the touch screen, then rush to find the next one!  Perfect example of how different these two are!


So, today Jake and Lilly were doing what they love to do:  gathering all of their “special things” and putting them in their own buckets (AKA Easter baskets from Grammy) to haul around the house.  They take theirs buckets to different rooms, empty them out, examine each "special thing" ever so carefully, then gather them up and deposit them back in their buckets again.  Sometimes, we play a game and I ask, "What special things are in your bucket?"  They love to take each thing out and tell me what it is.


 I was not at all surprised to find animals in Lilly’s bucket- a zebra (‘bra,’ she calls it), a tiger, and a horse.  In Jake’s bucket were a set of completely different things, distinctly special to him.  He had sunglasses (not his, but an old, cheap pair of mine), an empty facial cream container (again, mine), a set of spare car keys that belong to a vehicle we no longer own, and Cody’s old cell phone cover. 


I chuckled when I peeked inside Jake’s bucket of “special things.”  All of the things he cherishes are items that he sees Cody and I walking around with every day…. Things he must perceive as being our “special things” as well.  It made me smile to think that our special things are his special things.  He loves us so much that he loves what we love.  (OK, I don’t know if I can say I really “love” my car keys, phone, and sunglasses, but they are pretty important on a daily basis, and I do not leave the house without any of them!)

But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 1 Peter 2:9

God led me to a passage in 1 Peter this week, and as I read this phrase, “God’s special possession,” I couldn’t help but think about “special things.”  We are God’s special things, the ones He has chosen as precious in His sight.  And as His children who belong to Him, we should love what He loves.  And what does He place above all of creation?  People.  If people are His most “special things,” then they should be ours as well.  We were made to be in tune with our Father, to love what He loves, to hate what He hates.  And the Bible is crystal clear:  “God’s special possessions” are His people.

I love Jesus with all of my heart, but when I think about all I consider to be my “special things,” I can’t help but feel like maybe I’ve missed some of the important ones.  God makes no exceptions or excuses.  He sent his Son, who was more precious than any, to die for every person on this planet, whether they know Him yet or not.  All of the people I cross paths with on a daily basis match that description.  Even the people who are so, so hard to love.  Jesus died for them, too.
 
We all have them - difficult people in our lives who’ve hurt us or let us down, or maybe they just drive us absolutely crazy.  Whoever “those” people are in your life, they are “special” to Him.  They are “His chosen ones.”  He loves them the same way He loves you.  I heard someone recently say that it is impossible to love Jesus and not love people.  Why?  Because when our hearts beat with our Father's, His special things become our special things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment