Thursday, June 28, 2012

A Song For Lilly


Dear Lilly Grace, 

I cannot believe that next week we will celebrate your second birthday!  When people warned your Momma that it would go by in a flash, they knew what they were talking about!  It is such a blessing and an honor to be your Momma!  I have loved every minute of the last two years of your itty-bitty life.  I hope you keep your fierceness and use it to do whatever God has planned for you. He made you YOU for a special purpose and gave you your fiery spirit. I hope you never lose sight of it. I pray that you will live boldly and out loud, and never play it safe when it comes to doing what God created you to accomplish!

I came across this entry in a journal Momma has not written in for months. My goal was to write to you each month.  I did pretty good your first year, but then our crazy life got the best of me. When you have kids of your own one day, you’ll understand that I had the best of intentions!  When I snapped this picture of you this week in all your “bling,” I couldn’t help but remember "your song!"  Here’s the story of how it came to be your favorite, and the words that just might develop some meaning as you grow in your walk with Jesus!   
I love you so much, Stink Bug!
Love, Momma

October 13, 2011
You are such a little firecracker, Lilly Grace!  Sometimes, you can give me such grief getting ready to go somewhere, chasing me around the house with your shoes hours before we are ready to leave, throwing a full blown temper tantrum when I tell you that no, I cannot hold you while I'm curling my hair.  You can make me downright weak some days!  But amidst the tears that fall when you don't get your way, I see a bright, beaming heart exploding with joy!  After one such morning last week, where I found it almost impossible to get you and your brother ready and in the car, I turned around as I backed out of our driveway and saw you dancing like crazy to this song that is an absolute favorite of mine.  You were bobbing your head, kicking your feet, and clapping your hands, a beautiful, crazy grin plastered all over your face.  Today we were in the car and this song came on.  Again, you started dancing like a crazy girl, nutty head-bob and all!  I decided that when we got home, I'd sit down and write out the words to this song that has obviously become your favorite.  (You certainly don't dance to any other song quite like this one!)  So here are the beautiful words that maybe one day might mean more to you than just a catchy beat:




Hello my friend!
I remember when you were
So alive with your wide eyes
"Til the light that you had in your heart was stolen
Now you say that it ain't worth staying
You wanna run but you're hesitating
I'm talking to me 

Don't let your lights go down
Don't let your fire burn out
"Cause somewhere somebody needs
A reason to believe
Why don't you rise up now 
Don't be afraid to stand out
That's how the lost get found
The lost get found 

So when you get the chance
Are you gonna take it
There's a really big world at your fingertips
And you know you have the chance to change it 
There's a girl on the street she's crying
There's a man whose faith is dying
Love is calling you  
 Why do we go with the flow
Why take the easier road
Why are we playing it safe
Love came to show us the way
Love is a chance we should take
I'm moving out of the gray  
So when you get the chance
Are you gonna take it
There's a really big world at your fingertips
And you know you have the chance to change it
{Brit Nicole: The Lost Get Found}


No comments:

Post a Comment